Residents of San Marcos are invited to provide input on the draft Greenways Plan on Wednesday, November 9 from 5:00 to 8:30p.m at the San Marcos Activity Center. The come-and-go open house will feature exhibits of proposed plans for city thoroughfares, the priority corridor, bike routes, and the greenways and trails system. Attendees are encouraged to provide thoughts and comments on the plans.
The Greenways Plan will be included in the city’s overall Transportation Master Plan to allow for proper planning of natural areas as elements of our transportation system. The plan can help secure greenway right-of-way for future property developments and can enhance the city’s ability to secure grant funding for developing an interconnected system of trails in our community.
Vision San Marcos: A River Runs Through Us, the city’s comprehensive master plan, calls for the creation and implementation of a Greenways Master Plan and describes the multi-faceted benefits of greenways in the context of several goals and objectives:
|Paul Murray highlights a portion of the pathways.|
- Transportation: Provide alternatives to the use of motor vehicles
- Public Safety: Enhance watershed protection to mitigate flood impacts
- Tourism & Economic Development: Draw visitors to the city; encourage trail-related business opportunities
- Health: Promote outdoor exercise through hiking, mountain biking, dog walking and just being outside
- Environment: Protect natural resources, enhance water quality and wildlife habitat as development happens
- Recreation: Provide connections between parks, natural areas, activity nodes and employment centers as a means to get outside in nature with family, friends and team mates
|Full page and larger versions at Nov. 9 meeting|