The San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance would not exist without the perspiration, brains, and brawn of volunteers who understand the value of the natural world. SMGA volunteer opportunities are open to both adults and youth and we welcome folks with all sorts of skills and interests. Our two main groups of volunteers are the Trail Crew and our Outreach/Education team. You can read more about their work below.
The SMGA Trail Crew helps monitor and maintain our San Marcos Greenbelts and Natural Areas. This work includes
- Building, maintaining, and monitoring hiking trails and the greenbelts
- removing invasive species; planting wildflowers and other native species
- building and installing trial markers, benches, and other amenities in the greenbelts
- maintaining SMGA tools and equipment
- helping train new trail crew workers.
The Trail Crew typically works in small groups one or two mornings a week. If you are interested in joining this award-winning team, please fill out our online Trail Crew Volunteer Interest Form. Also review the trail crew welcome letter and trail crew safety presentation before reporting for your first day of work on the trail. Thanks!
Outreach & Education
The SMGA outreach team works to increase awareness of and appreciation for our greenbelts and natural areas. This work includes:
- developing and maintaining a strong, engaging, and informative social media presence
- hosting educational activities that get people involved in using, protecting, and learning about our beautiful natural areas
- increasing awareness of SMGA by participating in community events
- growing our membership and raising funds for SMGA.
Our Outreach Committee meets once a month to discuss ongoing projects and up-coming events. If you are interested in joining this team, please fill out the online Outreach Volunteer Interest Form and we will contact you with information about our next scheduled meeting or upcoming event.