SMGA Fellowship Applications Invited
In February 2022, the San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance (SMGA) will award up to two student research fellowships valued at $2000 each. Any Texas State University student in good standing (undergraduate or graduate) is eligible to apply. The research requirement for this award must directly involve the natural areas managed by SMGA or support the research priorities of SMGA.
Each awardee will submit a final research report to SMGA by the end of the calendar year documenting the research findings and summarizing the broader impacts of the study. SMGA Fellows’ research will be featured on the SMGA web site and be distributed accordingly.
SMGA Fellows are required to present their research at the SMGA annual meeting in February and at least one of the followingUniversity conferences: Texas State Graduate Research Conference, Texas State Undergraduate Research Conference, Honors Thesis Forum, or Geography Student Research Symposium. The appointment as a SMGA Fellow is for one calendar year and includes membership in SMGA for two years.
SMGA Research Priority Areas
- Inventorying flora and fauna of the natural areas
- Evaluating the management and control of invasive and exotic species
- Quantifying or assessing the ecological, mental/physical health, and/or cultural values of our natural areas and green spaces
- Enhancing awareness and education about the importance of protecting and connecting greenspace; creating materials/activities for specific populations (ex.: young children)
- Assessing the impact of climate change in our natural areas
- Prepare a 2-3 page (single-spaced) proposal stating the project’s purpose, study area or scope, methodology, expected project outcomes/products, timeline, and involvement of/impact on SMGA. Include a paragraph on your educational/professional goals and how this project will help you accomplish these goals. Also include a detailed budget as an appendix (not part of the 2-3 page allowable text) that describes how the $2000 will be spent. Allowable expenses include summer salary, equipment, supplies, and research travel.
- Request two physically-signed reference letters that speak to your character and ability to successfully complete the proposed project. At least one reference letter must be from a Texas State University faculty member. Include a copy of your Texas State University transcript and cumulative GPA.
- The student will submit the entire application package including all items above as one PDF to [email protected] by January 1, 2022. The subject line of the email needs to read SMGA Fellowship Application for [YOUR NAME]. Applicants will receive a confirmation that their application was received. The SMGA Fellowship Committee will review and rank applications. Awarded Fellows will be announced in early-March.
Research Funds Account Management
The fellowship will be managed as an internship where funds will be distributed by the Department of Geography at Texas State University. Any items/supplies/equipment must be purchased through the Department of Geography, with the Department Chair serving as account manager. Note that funding is available to any Texas State University student in good standing, not just Geography students.
SMGA Fellowship Committee
- The SMGA Fellowship Committee will review each application and ensure that the best projects are chosen using the matrix below.
- By the March SMGA Board Meeting, the Fellowship Committee will submit their ranked list of projects to the Board, where it will be discussed and approved at the March Board Meeting.