Download the executive summary. Review the previously written SMGA blip on the proposed arterial through Sink Creek.
The comments survey is only two pages. On the first page, you need to check on the plans that you want to comment on. Then at the bottom of the page, add your comments. On the second page, you are asked some basic demographic questions.
Below are SMGA’s concerns with the Roadway System plan:
There are several points to consider in regard to removing the proposed arterial connecting IH 35 with Ranch Road 12 from CAMPO’s 2035 Transportation plan. Feel free to use the following points in your comments.
- The proposed arterial would conflict with the results of the Greenprint for Growth data that was recently completed for Hays County that rates the area above Spring Lake as environmentally of high value.
- The San Marcos River and Spring Lake would be seriously impacted, including endangered species.
- San Marcos is only a few months away from completing another major arterial that connects IH35 to Ranch Road 12 on the south side of the city to provide access to IH 35 for those neighborhoods.
- The terrain would be difficult and expensive to traverse due to recharge features and the canyon at Sink Creek.
- The City of San Marcos, Hays County and Texas State University have recently entered into an agreement to develop a watershed protection plan for the upper San Marcos River. This process is just beginning, let’s give it some time to collect hard data and learn more about how the watershed functions.