Trail Safety Tips
- Utilize the buddy system. At a minimum tell someone where you are going, trail head, and time you’ll return.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Carry a charged cell phone and proper identification.
- Remain on main trails.
- Trust your instincts.
- Take care in acknowledging strangers.
- Dial 911 for an emergency and use markers to identify your location.
- Dial 512-753-2108 for non-emergencies.
- Carry a sound-making device.
- Do not wear ear buds or headphones. Enjoy the quiet and listen to the bird song.
- Wear bright or light-colored clothing so you’re easily seen.
- Carry water!
- Observe posted rules and park hours.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Leave valuables at home.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Trail hours: Sunrise to Sunset
[provided by City of San Marcos Urban Forester]